Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Still Pregnant

Thank you so much to all that have had us in your prayers and thoughts as we try to bring a healthy baby into this world.  I hope you understand me just putting this on our blog so that I am not retelling the same tale over and over.  I am a little drained.  But this is what happened.  I had a cerclage that is normally scheduled to be removed at 36 weeks to prevent tearing the cervix.  I had it removed on Monday morning and immediately went from  1 centimeter dilated before the procedure to 4 cent.  An hour later I was 5 centimeters and 100 % effaced.  However, because I am 36 weeks and military doctors are very conservative, they felt that it was not a good idea to break my water as was done with Joey and check Emma's lungs before anything else was done to progress labor.  I had an amniocentesis done- amniotic fluid was taken from my uterus through my belly with a syringe- to test her lungs.  2 out of 3 tests resulted that Emma had a chance of needed respiratory assist after birth and her lungs were at 1.8 where they should be at 2.  The NICU at the National Naval Medical Center is a level 3 so the doctors were confident that she would do well long term but immediately she might need help.  So it was up to us to decide what we wanted to do.  We took it to prayer and decided that despite my state of discomfort, her health is most important and a priority so we have decided to let labor come naturally.  We feel good about the decision but its just different because its not what we expected.  So I am still dilated, contracting not as much, and pretty comfortable, actually.  Some good friends from the ward have stepped up immensely and helped with Joey and for that I am grateful.  My mother is still here but will go to NYC and return when my water breaks.  So thats it!  We will keep you posted but so far we are ok and still trying to cook a healthy baby.  Please keep her in your prayers.  We are extremely grateful for you all and feel so blessed to have you in our lives.  We are more grateful for the power of prayer that allows us to see the eternal perspective of things.  Thanks for listening!  We love you.

4 comments:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Hang in there! She has to come out at some point! we'll be praying for you-
Jess
(P.s. this is our new blog address)

Paul, Nat, Syd, and Maggie said...

We will be praying for you as well. I think you are one tough cookie. You are very selfless. Emma is a very lucky little girl and we can't wait to meet her.

The Read Blend said...

Doorly, we are keeping you and Emma in our prays. Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I am glad that you are receiving a lot of support from your friends, family and church members.

Janielle Nelson said...

Hey, it is Janielle! I am so happy for you! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!